середу

Вчимо англійську вдома. 8th grade. Lesson 6. Informal Letters

Informal Letters (приватні листи)
Informal letters are mainly used for personal communication. They are written to close acquaintances of the writer, their friends, family, relatives, etc. There is no set format when writing an informal letter. But there is a general pattern, some conventions that people usually follow.
(Приватні листи в основному використовуються для особистого спілкування.  Вони пишуться близьким знайомим, їх друзям, родині, родичам і т.д. Під час написання неофіційного листа немає встановленого формату. Але є загальна закономірність, деякі умовності, яких зазвичай дотримуються люди.)

Address (адреса)
The first thing to write is your address, i.e. the address of the writer. We usually write the address on the left-hand side of the page at the very top. The address should be accurate and complete. If the recipient of the letter is in another country, do not forget to write your country as well in the address.

Example

Number and street name (1000 S. Grand Avenue)
City, state and postal code (Los Angeles, CA 90015)
Country (United States)

(Перше, що потрібно написати - це ваша адреса, тобто адреса дописувача. Зазвичай ми пишемо адресу вгорі з лівого боку сторінки. Адреса повинна бути точною та повною. Якщо одержувач листа перебуває в іншій країні, не забудьте також вказати свою країну.)

Date (дата)
The date is usually located below your own address. The most common way to write the date includes the month, day and year. Sometimes, only the month and day are sufficient. In English, the names of months are always capitalized, but there are some differences in formatting between American English and British English.
(Дата зазвичай розташована нижче вашої власної адреси. Найпоширеніший спосіб написання дати включає місяць, день та рік. Іноді достатньо лише місяця і дня. В англійській мові назви місяців завжди пишуться з великої літери, але є деякі відмінності у написанні дати в американській та британській мовах.)


Greeting (привітання)
There are a few things that you should know in terms of addressing someone properly in an informal lеtter.
First, British English does not employ the use of a period after abbreviated titles, but American English does.
(Є кілька правил, які ви повинні знати, як правильно звертатися до когось у приватному листі. По-перше, в британській англійській не ставиться крапка після скорочень, на відміну від американської.)

Mr Johnson (British English)
Mr. Johnson (American English)

Secondly, if you are sending a letter to a married woman, the correct abbreviation is "Mrs" and if you are sending an letter to a non-married woman, the correct abbreviation is "Ms"
(По-друге, якщо ви надсилаєте лист одруженій жінці, правильна абревіатура - "Mrs", а якщо ви надсилаєте лист жінці, що не заміжня, правильна абревіатура - " Ms ".)

Mrs Johnson is the wife of Mr Johnson - Місіс Джонсон - дружина містера Джонсона
Ms Johnson and her fiance will be married this summer – Міс Джонсон та її наречений будуть одружені цього літа

Be sure to never forget the comma after the name.
(Не забудьте поставити кому після імені.)

Dear Alex,
Dear Mom,
Mr…, or Mrs…,
Dear Mrs. Alex,

Introduction Paragraph (вступ)
The introductory paragraph sets the tone for the whole letter. You might begin by asking the recipient about their well being. Or you may say that you hope the letter finds them in good health and great spirits.
(Вступ задає тон усьому листу. Ви можете розпочати, запитавши одержувача про самопочуття. Або ви можете сказати, що сподіваєтесь, що лист знайде їх у міцному здоров'ї та у відмінному настрої.

How are you? – Як справи?
How have you been? – Як поживаєш?
How is life treating you? – Як життя?
I hope you are doing well. – Сподіваюся, у тебе все гаразд.

Body of the Letter (основна частина)
Subjects to Include in the Body:
- State your reason for writing (Сформулюйте свою причину для написання)
- Expand on what you mentioned in the first paragraph (Розкрийте те, що ви згадали у першому абзаці)
- Ask about the person you are writing to (Запитайте про людину, якій ви пишете)
- Make some concluding remarks (Зробіть кілька заключних зауважень)
- Invite the person to write back (Запропонуйте людині написати вам)


Conclusion (висновок)
In the conclusive paragraph sum up the reason for writing the letter, i.e. summarize the letter. Say a meaningful and affectionate goodbye to the reader. And do not forget to invite the reader to write back or reply to your letter. It shows an intention to keep the conversation going.
(У висновку підсумуйте причину написання листа. Попрощайтесь. І не забудьте запропонувати читачеві написати або відповісти на ваш лист. Це показує намір продовжувати розмову.)

I can’t wait to hear back from you. – Не можу дочекатися на твою відповідь.
I can't wait to see you soon. – Не терпиться скоро тебе побачити.
I look forward to hearing from you. – З нетерпінням чекаю на твою відповідь.
I am looking forward to hearing from you soon. – З нетерпінням чекаю на твою скору відповідь.
I am looking forward to seeing you. – З нетерпінням чекаю на нову зустріч.
I hope to hear from you soon. – Сподіваюся на скору відповідь.
I hope you are doing well. - Сподіваюся, з тобою все гаразд.
Give my regards to... – Передавай привітання…
Send my love to… - Передавай привітання…
See you soon! – До скорого!

Signature (підпис)
There is no one way to sign off informal letters. Pick the one that best suits the occasion and then simply sign your name below the greeting.
Some commonly used phrases are
(Немає жодного визначеного способу підписувати приватні листи. Виберіть ту, яка найбільше відповідає нагоді, а потім просто підпишіть своє ім’я під привітанням. Деякі поширені фрази:)

Lots of Love – з любов'ю
Best – всього найкращого
Best Wishes – з найкращими побажаннями
Kind Regards – з найкращими побажаннями
Kindly - ласкаво

.


Practice:

1. Read and translate different types of informal letter

A letter to your friend congratulating him/her on his/her success in class 12 board exam.
B-32, sector-11
Rohini
New Delhi-110034
July 10, 2018

Dear Muskan
My happiness knew no bounds when I got to know that you have topped your school and achieved your dream. I felt so pleased that I wish I were there to congratulate you personally.
The result has proved that hard work, determination and perseverance bring good results. You were so laborious and passionate about it. I know you were very nervous too, but I was always very confident that you would come out with flying colours. I apologise that I couldn’t even attend the celebration party despite my wishes.
Hope to see you soon. Please be encouraged and continue your hard work. Your future is very bright. My parents and elder sister have sent lots of love and heartiest congratulations.
With lots of love and best wishes.
Yours lovingly
Shefali


A letter to your friend describing your boarding school.
B-32, sector-11
Rohini
New Delhi-110085
April 15, 2018

Dear Muskan

How have you been? I hope my letter finds you in best of health and spirits. It has been almost a month I transferred to the boarding school. I am very happy in my new school. The classes and dormitories are very spacious. There are well equipped science laboratories and a library with a great collection of books. The school has amazing sports facilities such as swimming pool, horse riding track and archery range.

I believe my life here will be interesting and enjoyable. Although I have made many new friends, I still miss you and the other friends. Please, pay my regards to your parents.

Yours sincerely
Aakriti/ Abhinav


A letter to your friend Rudra inviting him to spend the summer vacation at your place in Mumbai.
129, Navyug Apartments
Pitampura
Delhi-110034
March 01, 2019

Dear Rudra
It’s been a while since I’ve heard from you. Where have you been? I hope this letter finds you in the best of your health.
As summers are approaching, I was thinking if we could spend the summer break together at my place in Mumbai. I will introduce you to all my friends and close relatives. I will give you a city tour as well. We will spend some quality time in the afternoons near the sea shore. To add cherry on the cake, the weather here is very pleasant during those days due to sea winds.
I am excited even at the thought of you and I spending the summer together after so long. I have to tell you a lot of things and expect the same from you. Give my regards to aunty and uncle!
Hope to see you soon.

Yours lovingly
Sakshi/Saksham


A letter to your friend who just met with an accident informing him about his speedy recovery in a consoling tone.
129, Navyug Apartments
Pitampura
Delhi-110034
March 01, 2019

Dear Rudra

I hope this letter finds you in the best of spirits. When I visited last week, you seemed a little bit depressed.
Come on boy, you should thank God for giving you a fresh lease of life. Everything is going to be fine very soon. I even talked to your doctor this morning and he told me that you are out of danger now. You will have to remain in the hospital for a few more days but that is not something you should be concerned about. Your family and friends are there for you.
Don’t forget that life is a mixture of joys and sorrows. By the way, all of us have decided to celebrate your recovery as soon as you come home you will be throwing a party the day you come back home from the hospital. Hope to see you soon. My parents and younger sister have sent you lots of love and wishes.
Wish you a speedy recovery!

Yours truly
Manvi/Manav


A letter to your friend congratulating him for his new job offer. He just graduated from college.

B-101
Regency apartments
New Bombay
28 December 2018

Dear Vishnu
I just heard that you have received a new job. I couldn’t be happier for you. Congratulations!
I know it is not easy to get a good job in this troubled job market. It is particularly tough for a fresh graduate with hardly any work experience. The resourcefulness you displayed in your job search is commendable. You have inspired me and a lot others that “Where there is a will, there is definitely a way.” You have made us all proud, Vishnu!
I am quite confident that your knowledge of computer and artistic skills will make you a great graphics designer. I expect to hear great news coming from your direction in the coming years. May you fulfil all your dreams.
Best wishes.
Yours truly
Sara/ Sid


A letter to your friend appreciating his book that he wrote in Bangalore while pursuing his writing career.

B-101
Regency apartments
New Bombay
28 December 2018

Dear Vishnu
How has life been treating you? I am writing you this letter to tell you how proud I am of you. I read your novel and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Well done!
The speech and the flow in which it is written is commendable. I really liked your choice of words. I know that most of your books are inspired from actual life experiences, and this book clearly demonstrates how committed and hard working you’ve been. It is doing absolute justice to what you’ve gone through and how well you have handled it.
My friend, since you left for Bangalore to pursue your writing career, we have drifted apart, unfortunately. I hope we can start a correspondence here and meet soon one day.
Hope you fulfil your dreams. Remember, sky is the limit.
Yours lovingly
Robert/ Robina


Test yourself:



попередній урок                                                                                                                     наступний урок

Немає коментарів :

Дописати коментар